The Advising Council and Advising Council Executive Committee
Advising Council Charge
The Advising Council promotes the craft, quality, and consistency of student support across the undergraduate, graduate, and professional student experience. The Council:
Works to ensure that our policies, systems, and practices support student access and success, and contribute to creating an equitable, inclusive, and anti-racist campus community.
Coordinates sharing of knowledge and best practices for supporting students across divisions and academic departments.
Champions a culture of care for staff who support students, cultivating their sense of belonging, wellness, professional recognition and growth.
Establishes common expectations for the use of tools and resources for advising and academic support.
Encourages innovation and multiple methods of service delivery as we envision the future of student-serving professions.
The Advising Council Executive Committee membership for 2021-2022 is:
- Oliver M. O'Reilly (Co-Chair), interim Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
- Lisa García Bedolla (Co-Chair), Vice Provost for Graduate Studies and Dean of the Graduate Division
- Susan Hagstrom, Manager, Advising Strategy & Training
- Jenna Johnson-Hanks, Executive Dean, College of Letters & Science
- Rick Kern, Chair, Undergraduate Council
- Dania Mantos, Vice Chancellor, Equity and Inclusion
- Femi Ogundele, Assistant Vice Chancellor of Enrollment Management and Dean of Undergraduate Admissions
- Stephen C. Sutton, Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs
The Advising Council is co-chaired by the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and the Vice Provost for Graduate Studies & Dean of the Graduate Division, and includes directors and representatives from student service units across campus. Additionally, the Advising Council includes four faculty representatives as well as representatives from the Graduate Assembly and Associated Students of the University of California. Chairs may designate additional staff as appropriate.