Excellence in Advising Awards Program
The Excellence in Advising Awards Program has been initiated to recognize exceptional performance and innovation in advising. A limited number of awards will be made to individuals and teams that are making a significant positive impact on the students and programs they support.
- Outstanding New Advisor (3 years or less advising)
- Outstanding Advisor
- Outstanding Advising Team
- Outstanding Peer Advisor
- Outstanding Advising Administrator, Director, Manager, Faculty Advisor or Dean
Award for Special Performance and Contributions:
- The Mary Slakey Howell Excellence in Advising Award - Our Highest Honor - For Exceptional Contributions to Students and the Advising Community
Criteria: Awards recognize advising excellence and creativity consistent with the Berkeley vision for advising in that they promote student learning, performance, achievement, progress and success, expand opportunities, support engagement, growth and discovery, wellness and connectedness.The selection committee, comprised of past award recipients, is interested in nominations that effectively:
- demonstrate positive impact (e.g., learning, progress, performance, engagement) to individuals or student populations
- represent an authentically student-centered, learning-centered, caring, and connected approach to advising (e.g., students report feeling seen, heard, and understood as unique individuals)
- are innovative (e.g., methods, approaches, tools, programs, resources, etc.)
Submission process: Please write the nominees name clearly at the top of any documents you submit.
1) Complete form linked below. In the form, nominators will be asked to tell us in about 250 words (1 page) why the individual or team deserves special recognition. Please include available evidence of positive impact and/or describe in detail how this person promotes the Berkeley vision for advising and is especially student-centered or innovative (don’t just tell, show if possible).
2) At least one letter of support (preferably from a student, supervisor or workgroup leader, faculty member, Chair or Dean.) Letters of support should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the nominee's name in the email subject line.
Note: Past recipients of these awards frequently had multiple nominators and letters of support. If you are considering nominating an advisor, check with others to see if you might coordinate your efforts to create a nomination "portfolio".
Submissions will only be considered complete if the form and the letter(s) of support are received.
Award recipients will be recognized at a public ceremony in December. A letter from Central HR will also be sent to the recipient’s manager/Director/or relevant Dean recommending follow up with a SPOT or achievement award.
Submit a Letter of Support to email@example.com (include nominee's name in the subject line)
- Deadline to submit nominations-- November 3
- Nominations Reviewed-- November 1-30
- Awards Ceremony -- December 18, 2017 Toll Room, Alumni House 4:00-6:00 p.m.