Excellence in Advising Awards Program
We will be rolling all nominations received Fall 2020 over to the 2021 process.
The Excellence in Advising Awards Program recognizes exceptional performance and innovation in advising and student support. A limited number of awards will be made to individuals and teams who are making a significant positive impact on students, student support programs, and/or the student services community as a whole.
Student support plays a critical role in student engagement, belonging, and success, and because advising matters at Berkeley, we believe exceptional performance deserves campus-wide recognition.
Award recipients will be recognized at a virtual ceremony on Monday, December 14, 2020 from 3:00-4:30pm.
We encourage nominations of student services staff from throughout our Berkeley community, including Student Affairs, Equity & Inclusion, Undergraduate Education, Schools & Colleges, University Extension, Berkeley International Office, and beyond!
- Eligible nominees do not have to have the term “advisor” in their title. All student support staff at UC Berkeley may be nominated.
- Nominations can be made by anyone in the campus community including students.
- Staff can be nominated for more than one category but each nomination must have a unique nomination entry and statement.
- Previous winners are not eligible to receive the same award more than once.
- Entries within each category will be reviewed by a committee composed primarily of past award recipients. Two to three judges will independently review submissions using the criteria outlined below.
Award Categories (see specific criteria here).
- Outstanding New Advisor or Student Support Professional (3 or fewer years experience)
- Outstanding Advisor or Student Support Professional (more than 3 years of experience)
- Outstanding Peer Advisor, Mentor, Counselor, or Ambassador
- Outstanding Advising or Student Support Services Administrator, Director, or Manager
- Outstanding Advising or Student Support Team
- Outstanding Equity Champion
- 2020 Virtual Advising Innovation
- 2020 Success with Less
- Excellence in Data and/or Research-Driven Student Support
- Service to the Advising and Student Support Community
- Advising Champion (faculty/administrator)
Award for Special Performance and Contributions
- The Mary Slakey Howell Excellence in Advising Award - Our Highest Honor - For Exceptional Contributions to Students and the Advising Community
In your nomination, in addition to addressing the criteria for each particular category, please reference how the team or individual’s work is in alignment with Berkeley’s Vision, Goals, Principles and Core Competencies.
Complete the form linked below. In the form, nominators will be asked to tell us in about 250 words (1 page) why the individual or team deserves special recognition, using the criteria outlined on this page. Please include available evidence of positive impact and/or describe in detail how this person promotes the Berkeley vision for advising and is, for example, especially student-centered or innovative (don’t just tell, show if possible). Optional: An additional statement of support may be included.
- Deadline to submit nominations: 9:00 am, Tuesday, November 10, 2020
- Review: November 10-20, 2020
- Virtual Awards Ceremony: Monday, December 14, 2020, 3:00-4:30pm
The Mary Slakey Howell Excellence in Advising Award
Mary Slakey Howell 1962-2017
The Mary Slakey Howell award for advising excellence is UC Berkeley's highest advising award. It recognizes visionary leadership and exceptional contributions and dedication to the advising community. Mary Howell was a Berkeley alum, front-line advisor, and Director of Student Advising and Policy at the College of Engineering and she dedicated herself to Cal, a place she loved and took pride in representing. Throughout her career she distinguished herself as a knowledgeable advisor, policy analyst, trainer, program developer, and director of advising programs, demonstrating an exceptional understanding of Berkeley’s people, policies, places, and complex practices. Most importantly she put student wellbeing and progress first. The many student testimonials at her retirement party told volumes about the lasting impact her care and individual attention has had on the lives of the many lucky students she advised, coached, challenged and supported. This award is a loving tribute to all she accomplished and contributed to making UC Berkeley a better place for students, advisors and the entire campus community.
Recipients of the Mary Slakey Howell Award
2019 Elizabeth Wilcox and La Shana Porlaris
2018 Barbara Felkins and Kay Burns
2017 Susan Hagstrom and Sharon Mueller
2016 Fabrizio Mejia and Julian Ledesma
Remembering Mary's impact.
This video originally presented at Mary's retirement celebration, 2017. Created by Laura Vogt.