Following are resources to support our UC Berkeley student services community as we navigate this era of social distancing and modified instruction. Many of these have been developed by YOU, our generous and talented staff - thank you all for contributing your ideas, questions, and expertise to this effort. If you have suggestions for additional resources for this page, please email Susan Hagstrom, Manager of Advising Strategy and Training at email@example.com.
Student Engagement and Services Recovery Management Committee Updates and Toolkits
Over the summer, the Student Engagement and Services Recovery Management Steering Committee has been meeting to explore how to improve Berkeley’s remote services, prepare for a hybrid approach, and better support students and student advising staff.
Three workgroups - Reintegration to the Physical Campus, Building Community and Belonging in Virtual Space, and Student Academic Support - have been developing toolkits, guidelines, and trainings to ensure students have the most authentic learning environment and Berkeley experience possible this fall.
Check back here in the next few weeks for links to those resources.
UCB Student Service Updates and Preparedness Checklist
- Frequently Asked Questions about Fall 2020 from Student Affairs.
- Grad Division's COVID-19 page.
- UCB Student Service Updatesfor staff use only (shared document co-created by over 80 units to update each other on late-breaking changes to policy and service models).
- Days of Modified Instruction: Checklist for UC Berkeley Student Service Units. Are you and your department prepared to offer virtual advising services to students? Review this checklist with your colleagues to find out!
- Student Services Staff FAQ: Grading for SP20 (detailed information about UC Berkeley's spring 20 grading option policy).
- UC Berkeley Student Services COVID-19 Questions and Tips (shared document for student service units to ask and answer questions during this period of modified instruction).
FERPA, Student Files & Working Remotely
- Guidance for student services staff on FERPA and working remotely (UC Berkeley Office of the Registrar).
- UC Berkeley Telecommuting Resources. Campus policy requires that all systems connected to the campus network meet Minimum Security Standards. Please review the standards and get help if your computer does not meet the requirements. Even if no one else uses your computer be sure to follow these best practices for telecommuting.
Equity & Inclusion During Covid-19
- Latest information on E&I resources, support, accommodations and more (very comprehensive website for students, staff, and faculty. Includes basic needs, technology resources for students, protocol for Zoom calls, DSP & accessability tips, and much more).
- E&I Toolkit for participants in virtual classrooms and meeting spaces.
- How to access your Zoom Pro account
- Zoom Quick Guide
- Digital Tools & Advising Resoures (developed originally for GBA advising)
- Digital Tools Training Slides from Advisors (originally developed for GBA advising)
- Center for Teaching & Learning Instructional Resilience Resources (relevant for digital advising as well!)
- Video Conferencing (tips from Technology@Berkeley, relevent also for advisor/student appointments & workshops)
- Disabled Students' Program tips for making your remote/virtual services accessible
- Office for Disability Access & Compliance (can help you provide deaf or hard of hearing students access to online appointments, meetings or calls)
Student Support Resources
- Student Technology Equity Program (STEP) connects laptops, WiFi hotspots, and other required technology to students in need.
- Video message for students from CE3, Dean of Students, ASUC, Fin Aid, L&S Advising, Cal Stu Central (pls share with your students).
- UC Berkeley Basic Needs Center: COVID-19 Living Guide for students (very detailed and updated regularly).
- Tips for Student Self-Care during COVID-19 (brief video from Counseling and Psychological Services with simple ideas you can share with your students).
- Managing Fears and Anxiety around Corona Virus (from University Health Services)
- Student Learning Center Tutoring Services are now available virtually. Do you supervise tutors? See remote Tutoring Guidelines from the Athletic Study Center.
- Undocumented Student Program Services in response to COVID-19; COVID-19 Resources for Undocumented Californians (a wealth of info and resources for families, including by region; from the CA Immigrant Youth Justice Alliance).
- Berkeley International Office FAQ Resources and information for international students.
- Laptop and WiFi Hotspot Lending Program for students. The Student Technology Fund has offered the University emergency funding to immediately benefit students. The STF funded, with the Chief Technology Officer and other campus partners, this emergency response to students' need for laptops and WiFi hotspots.
- Technology Needs Assessment for students with unmet technology needs. The Student Tech Support Helpdesk continues to be available Monday through Friday by phone and email. Off-campus internet access resources for students.
- NEW! Free Zoom Pro accounts for all registered Berkeley students.
- From Student Affairs (housing, dining, student technology and more):
UC Berkeley Campuswide COVID-19 Resources
- UC Berkeley COVID-19 News, Resources & Updates
- University Health Service COVID-19 Updates and FAQ
- Cal Messages sent re: COVID-19 (Cal Messages Archive)
- UC Berkeley Library Hours and Updates
Self Care and Resources for Staff
- COVID-19 Information for UC Employees (UCOP), including paid leave, remote work provisions)
- Paid Admin Leave for Employees with School Children Affected by Coronavirus Closures (HR/Berkeley People and Culture)
- UHS Coronavirus Faculty & Staff Resources (emotional health, ergonomic tips, family/work life, exercise/nutrition, caring for elders, and more)
- COVID-19: Stress and Coping (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Work Effectively While Telecommuting (LinkedIn Learning resources curated by Berkeley People and Culture)
- Remote Work Resources for staff, including tasks, projects, and professional development (from our colleagues in Student Affairs)