The Advising Council and Advising Council Executive Committee
Charge of Advising Council
UC Berkeley’s Advising Council Executive Committee and Advising Council are representative leadership bodies formed in 2012 to better coordinate advising to improve the student experience.
The Advising Executive Committee meets quarterly and provides the strategic direction and campus-level vision for advising. The committee makes decisions concerning recommendations supporting excellence in advising that do not fall clearly under the purview of any other policy-making body. It also provides oversight for the campus-wide programs that support the development of a culture of excellence in advising.
The Advising Council Commitment to Excellence
- Promotes effective advising strategies that support and positively transform the student experience
- Identifies opportunities for improvement, knowledge-sharing, and collective strategic planning on student systems and policies
- Connects the academic and co-curricular advising community to build dialogues and mutually beneficial partnerships
- Incentivizes and rewards excellence, engagement and professional development
- Supports assessment and program level effectiveness with a focus on the student experience
- Supports an active communications network designed to inform, engage and inspire the advising community
The Advising Executive Committee is chaired by the Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education and includes the Vice Chancellor for Equity and Inclusion, the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, the Dean of the Graduate Division, the Letters & Science Dean of Undergraduate Studies, and the Chair of the Undergraduate Council of the Academic Senate. The Associate Vice Chancellor for Admissions and Enrollment attends meetings of the Advising Executive Committee as a non-voting member.
The Advising Council is chaired by the Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education and includes the L&S Dean of Undergraduate Studies, the Directors of Advising in the five undergraduate colleges and the Haas Undergraduate Program, the Associate Dean of Students, a representative designated by the Vice Chancellor for Equity and Inclusion, a representative designated by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, a representative designated by the Dean of the Graduate Division, a representative designated by the Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education, four faculty representatives from the Academic Senate, a student representative from the Graduate Assembly, a student representative from the ASUC. In addition, the Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education may designate additional staff representatives as appropriate to ensure representation across the campus.